Accelerated BSN Program FAQs
Below are the most common accelerated BSN program FAQs we receive from prospective students.
- What are the general admission requirements for the accelerated nursing program in Portland?
- How will this online accelerated nursing program prepare me for a successful nursing career?
- When should I apply to the ABSN program?
- How many students does the Accelerated BSN program in Portland accommodate?
- Is it possible to work while participating in this Accelerated BSN program?
- What type of student excels in this accelerated nursing program?
- Are there any financial aid options available for the accelerated nursing program in Portland?
1. What are the general admission requirements for the accelerated nursing program in Portland?
Because it is an accelerated program, students must have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.0 from a regionally accredited institution(s) and cumulative math and science GPA of 3.0.
Other ABSN program requirements include:
- Completion of Kaplan Admission Test
- Proof of CNA course completion* (license not required)
- Professional resume including volunteer work
A series of ABSN prerequisites must also be completed with grades of “C” or higher, including microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry, statistics, developmental psychology and nutrition.
2. How will this online-based accelerated nursing program prepare me for a successful nursing career?
Our Accelerated BSN program follows a blended learning model comprising online nursing theory coursework led by esteemed professors, hands-on experiential learning in our nursing simulation labs in Portland and real-world clinical practice in local health care facilities that are among the region’s top employers. This type of program format provides a strong academic foundation along with the clinical preparedness necessary to take the National Council Licensure Exam, or NCLEX, and become an RN.
3. When should I apply to the ABSN program?
Our accelerated nursing program in Portland offers three starts a year. That means you can fast-track your nursing school journey so you can graduate a career-ready nurse with a quality BSN sooner than other programs.
4. How many students does the Accelerated BSN program in Portland accommodate?
5. Is it possible to work while participating in this Accelerated BSN program?
Our accelerated nursing program in Portland follows a rigorous, full-time format that could easily be considered a job in itself. We typically recommend that our students allow themselves the opportunity to focus on their accelerated BSN education full time.
6. What type of student excels in this accelerated nursing program?
Because our Accelerated BSN program in Portland is fast-paced, the students who tend to be the most successful in this type of learning environment are dedicated, self-motivated, organized and eager to learn. They anticipate the stress that is going to be involved and are not afraid to lean on their fellow students and faculty for support and encouragement.
7. Are there any financial aid options available for the accelerated nursing program in Portland?
Our Office of Financial Aid can provide you with information regarding the funding options available for the program. Our staff is also happy to assist you in the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, which is the first step in determining your personal financial aid eligibility. Once your FAFSA is received, they can provide you with detailed information about your financial aid eligibility, and any remaining steps.
Please contact our enrollment specialists if you have additional questions.