It’s no secret; nursing in Oregon is hot right now. But finding the right nursing school and getting in can be difficult! With many great potential nurses sitting on waitlists, Concordia University-Portland wants to give more students –just like you – the opportunity to pursue their passion and become a nurse. How? With our new Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program! Adapted from Concordia University-Portland’s successful on-campus BSN nursing program, students will now have the ability to fast-track their BSN in as few as 16 months.
Concordia University-Portland is enrolling now and with three start dates per year – January, May, and August – you can pursue your nursing career dream immediately! Accelerated is in the name and we’re not exaggerating when we say our program is fast. In order to allow sufficient time for your studies, we recommend viewing the ABSN program as a full-time job.
The students who will succeed in our program are those who will be:
- Dedicated: We’re not going to sugar coat it – becoming a nurse is hard. We’re looking for students who are passionate and dedicated to the profession, students who know that nursing isn’t simply a career, it’s a calling.
- Disciplined: Due to the independent nature of our program, students will need to be disciplined with their time. While students are generally able to work at their own pace and plan their schedule, they possess excellent time management skills.
- Eager: Are you ready to learn a lot about the field of nursing in a short amount of time? Our program is challenging, but worth it. We’re looking for students that are eager to learn the ins and outs of the nursing world.
Our unique program combines online coursework with hands-on experience allowing you to take control of your education. Do you like to study late at night or early in the morning? Our program provides flexiblity so you can study when and where you learn best. We empower you to take control of your nursing education. Over four semesters, our ABSN students will spend time mastering nursing theory courses through our online learning portal, experiencing hands-on learning in our state-of-the-art nursing facility and put what they’ve learned into practice with clinical rotations in top Portland-area hospitals.
Instead of attending class in a traditional setting, student’s login to the online learning platform to access lectures, simulated learning modules, practice tests, and more – all led by the outstanding Concordia University-Portland faculty.
Building on what you learn online, students participate in patient-care simulations on medical manikins. Dedicated lab instructors put our students through various patient-care scenarios allowing students to practice their skills in a safe and controlled environment.
The most crucial part of our ABSN program is clinical rotations. In partnership with Portland-area hospitals, our ABSN students put what they’ve learned online and in our simulation lab into practice in a hospital setting. With fellow members of their cohort, students work alongside experienced clinical faculty and see what life is really like on the floor. As a nursing student in our ABSN program, you can expect to gain nursing experiences in some of the following areas:
- Adult Health
- Mental Health
- Behavioral Health
- Intensive Care
- Acute Care
- Long-term Care
Working in diverse nursing settings is essential for the student nurse. Why? Most nursing students know that they want to become a nurse, but they’re unsure of what area of health care to pursue. Our clinical rotations give students the opportunity to explore and figure out what department they want to work in. Upon graduating, passing the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX), and becoming a registered nurse (RN), our ABSN students have a plan.
Why Concordia University-Portland?
As a Lutheran institution, Concordia University-Portland offers a small, caring community that supports student and faculty interaction, individual attention, and spiritual growth. Our ABSN students learn to care for the whole patient – body, mind, and spirit.
Founded in 1905, Concordia University-Portland began as a four-year academy to meet the needs for region pastors and school teachers. The school has evolved into a university that offers a solid liberal arts education, pre-professional programs, professional church work programs, and undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Accredited Nursing School
Concordia University-Portland is a non-profit institution and our nursing program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). This level of accreditation makes our nursing program among the most elite in the region. In addition to the CCNE accreditation, the accelerated nursing program at Concordia University-Portland is also accredited and approved by the:
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Oregon State Board of Nursing
Nursing in Portland
Like the rest of the United States, Oregon is experiencing a nursing shortage. According to the July 2015 labor trends report, nursing tops the help wanted lists across Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. With a rapidly aging baby boomer population, RNs are not only in demand, they’re also well compensated. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that RNs in Oregon are among the highest paid in the US, making an average salary of $83,800.
Additionally, Portland offers our accelerated nursing students plenty of culture, sports, outdoor activities, and entertainment. As a Portland resident, you could:
- Cheer on the Portland Trail Blazers at the Moda Center
- Catch a concert at the Roseland Theater
- Get some fresh air and explore Forest Park
- Shop – tax-free– with the locals in one of Portland’s funky and creative neighborhoods, the Alberta Arts District
- Eat your way through Portland, which was recently named one of America’s best food cities by the Washington Post
- Explore the city via the Portland Light Rail, known as the “Max”
- Go skiing or snowboarding at Mount Hood, a measly 1.5 hours away
Our accelerated nursing program is enrolling now! What are you waiting for? If you have the desire to become a nurse, speak to an enrollment specialist today at 866.892.1562!